01 Mar Foot Doctor Tips for Summer Sandals
Foot-Healthy Summer Sandals
As the days grow longer and the nights grow warmer, you start looking forward to kicking off your shoes and socks. But before you grab your favorite flip-flops or sandals, make sure they’re not going to create foot problems for you. At Shuman Podiatry, we want you to enjoy every moment of every season with feet that look and feel their best.
Get ready for Summer with our top tips for picking foot-healthy sandals.
1. Get the Right Size
- As you age, your foot size naturally grows.
- Sandals should be slightly larger than regular shoes to allow for more swelling in warm, humid weather.
- A podiatrist can give you exact foot measurements.
- Most women have one foot that’s larger than the other.
- Always fit the larger foot.
- If you have a hard-to-fit or wide foot, department stores usually offer more options than online stores.
2. Get Comfortable
- Make comfort a priority and look for heel cushioning and soft, breathable fabric like canvas, leather and mesh.
- A round toe box and thick sole are musts for healthy summer footwear.
- Shoes should feel comfortable right out of the box, so if they don’t, don’t buy them.
- Shop for sandals at the end of the day, when your feet have swollen to their full size.
- Espadrilles are breezy and comfortable, but make sure they have a slight rise in the heel to give you support.
- Consider the orthopedic sandals made popular by soccer players who wear them off the field.
- If you want height, look for a wedge heel.
3. Get Strapping
- Look for wide, flexible straps that will form to your foot.
- Avoid thin, loose straps that will make your foot slide around.
- A heel strap can keep a sandal secured for comfort and safety.
- Avoid sandals with leg straps that may look cute but could interfere with the circulation in your legs.
4. Get Some Support
- Because they have no arch support, flip-flops and other flat sandals can lead to serious foot problems including plantar fasciitis.
- If your favorite sandals lack heel and arch support, ask Shuman Podiatry about custom orthotics for the ultimate in foot comfort.
- A steel shank is the most supportive material in any shoe.
- Woven sandals like huaraches are a good choice for both men and women because they’re light, breathable and supportive.
5. Get Healthy
- Fresh air is good for your feet, so enjoy letting them out for a breather.
- Avoid jelly-type shoes that can trap sweat in your feet.
- Take advantage of warm weather by walking barefoot.
- Exercise sandals with rubber soles are a healthy alternative to regular sneakers when the weather’s warm.
- Regular podiatric appointments will keep warm-weather annoyances like fungal nail and athlete’s foot away.
Foot Doctor Near You
Whether you’re planning an evening run on the beach or a day lounging poolside, you can have summer footwear that’s stylish and comfortable. Consult Shuman Podiatry & Sports Medicine for all your foot care needs, whether it’s fitting you for the right orthotics or getting those tough cold-weather calluses off your feet.
If you’re looking for the best in Loudoun County foot care, call us today. We’ll keep your feet as healthy as the day is long.
About: Dr Shuman provides podiatry services in Potomac Falls, Sterling, Ashburn, Lansdowne and Leesburg Va. Shuman Podiatry offers: custom orthotics, diabetic foot care, heel pain and spurs, wart removal and more. Contact Dr Shuman today for all your foot care needs.