16 Jan Orthotics for Soccer
Soccer Players Need Custom Orthotics
Soccer is becoming hugely popular in the U.S. (it already is in the rest of the world), with an estimated 24 million people here playing “the beautiful game.” Here in Loudoun County we have our own Loudoun Soccer club, whose motto is “Developing Champions for Life.” At Shuman Podiatry & Sports Medicine, we believe that everyone should be healthy enough to play the sport of their choice and feel like a champion for a long, long time.
Soccer, like any sport, is a great way to exercise, stay active and socialize; but without the right foot care, this game can be brutal on your feet. In this post we’ll take a look at the key injuries that soccer players are prone to, and how custom orthotics from Shuman Podiatry can help you play better, feel better and stay on your toes game after game.
- Primarily afflicts children from the ages of 8 to 15, and is the top reason that podiatrists prescribe orthotics for young soccer players.
- It’s caused by inflammation of the growth plate in the heel, and can happen when the tendons get overstretched.
- Symptoms include severe pain when running or jumping that goes away when you stop exercising, tenderness at the heel, and burning pain.
Treating Sever’s Disease
- Stretching exercises can help strengthen the ligaments.
- Dr. Shuman can create supportive, custom orthotics to reduce pressure on your heels.
- In severe cases, a podiatrist may recommend a walking cast.
- Ankle strains and sprains are common in soccer players of all ages.
- The number-one cause of ankle instability and ankle pain is a sprained ankle that did not rehabilitate properly.
- Dr. Shuman can create custom orthotics to rehabilitate the ankle by giving it support and stability while it is healing.
Treating Ankle Sprains
- Rest is the primary cure; you need to stop exercising until the ankle heals.
- Dr. Shuman can show you simple stretching exercises to help rehabilitate the ankle once the sprain has mended.
- Custom orthotics will prevent further ankle twists and sprains, and let you walk, run and play without fear of wobbling.
- The plantar fascia connects the heel bone to the toes.
- In cases of strain or overuse, it will become inflamed, causing a sharp pain in the legs and ankles.
- Plantar fasciitis is the most common source of heel pain and is seen in many soccer players, mostly because they run for long periods of time on hard surfaces.
- Plantar fasciitis can make walking difficult and interfere with many daily activities.
Treating Plantar Fasciitis
- You need to rest your foot as much as possible.
- Ice packs and over-the-counter anti-inflammatories can reduce the pain and swelling.
- Dr. Shuman can craft orthotics that will give you arch support and cushion your feet, reducing the pain and helping to speed healing.
Why Soccer Players Need Orthotics
- Most commercially-produced soccer footwear does not have enough arch support.
- Many cleats have rigid soles that don’t allow the foot to move naturally.
- Pronation (turning the foot inward) is a commonly-seen problem in soccer players and a major risk factor for plantar fasciitis.
- Famous professional soccer players like David Silva, Sergio Aguero and Joe Cole have all spoken openly about their reliance on custom-fitted orthotics to help them play at the highest levels.
Foot Care for Soccer Players
- Wear supportive, well-fitting shoes.
- Replace cleats when they are worn out.
- After every game or practice, do some gentle stretching and strengthening exercises for your feet, ankles and heels.
- Have regular appointments with your podiatrist to catch and treat problems before they sideline you.
- Ask us how custom orthotics can make you feel better and play better.
What’s Your Goal?
Whether you’re playing soccer professionally or as an avid amateur, your goal should always be to have fun and give it all you’ve got. When injuries happen, don’t let them take you off the field for long.
At Shuman Podiatry & Sports Medicine we use the latest in 3D imaging to create orthotics matched perfectly to your feet and your cleats. Call us today and let us put together a whole regime of prevention, care and custom orthotics that will keep you kicking.
About: Dr Shuman provides podiatry services in Potomac Falls, Sterling, Ashburn, Lansdowne and Leesburg Va. Shuman Podiatry offers: custom orthotics, diabetic foot care, heel pain and spurs, wart removal and more. Contact Dr Shuman today for all your foot care needs.